Tuesday, August 05, 2008

08/05/08: Nuke 'em

I was telling my husband about this cool article I read: http://www.schneier.com/essay-155.html. I was asking him about the following two scenarios:

There are 600 people. You have two choices:
A. Save 200 people
B. Take a 2/3rds chance that 200 people will live or 2/3rd chance that 600 people will die.

There are 600 people. You have two choices:
A. Kill 400 people
B. Take a 1/3rd chance that 600 live or 2/3rd chance that 600 people will live.

He selected A/B respectively.

HOOK LINE AND SINKER! Both A scenarios are the same thing and ditto for B. So much for being a smarty pants!

I mentioned the 9/11 scenario: Simple solution to avoiding the situation from ever happening again: ground all air traffic. Simple, easy to enforce, and we already did it after 9/11 happened. His response? "It will never happen...My solution is NUKE 'EM. Nuke all Middle Eastern countries."

Not so certain I agree with that but an interesting perspective from a government man.

2 comments:

Jae Kim said...

I'm in the process of starting a social experiment via the web, and am in need of someone that can write really well. The details of the project is laid out on my website at www.accreation.org. I'm looking for someone that can edit the content in a more easily understandable format. Please visit the site, and contact me if you or someone you know might be interested in participating in the project. Thank you.

PS. This is NOT a paid position; I'm looking for like minded individuals who are interested in making this prjoect become a success. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I am very thrilled you wrote that post!?

-Thank you,
Jerry