Thursday, April 13, 2006

04/13: One month?

I cannot believe I haven't written for an entire month! Things have calmed down and there is a light at the end of the horizon. Only three weeks left and, in the meantime, my one online course ended. Yippee! I'm almost done AND...drum roll...I'm taking next semester off. Well, off from face-to-face teaching. The school thinks differently and put me on the schedule even though they never asked me to teach! That's a good sign but I did have to tell them that I wasn't going to do it.

My online class had an interesting character in it. She wanted an A. That was the bottom line. Not that she wanted to EARN an A, she just wanted it. She spent hours on the phone with her advisor about why she deserved an A. She ended up earning an A- and she was furious. She was also mad at me because I didn't respond to her in a timely fashion during the week I was at the funeral for my father-in-law (even though I told them that I wouldn't be responding, I was going to a funeral, and we had a SECOND instructor that she didn't contact!).

I love my stupents...

BTW, I had an amazing student in this class. She was a dream student who went the extra mile and really put in 150%. She earned an A and raised the benchmark for the rest of the class. It was an amazing experience to finally have a really, really good student again. Ahhhhh...the joy of teaching when the students want to work for their grades, not just get them handed to them.

No comments: